Connecticut Food Bank distributes food to nearly 700 food assistance programs in six of Connecticut’s eight counties: Fairfield, Litchfield, Middlesex, New Haven, New London and Windham. Member programs include soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters, child and adult day programs and residential programs who are nonprofit charitable organizations with 501(c)3 status.
In addition to having 501(c)3 status, agencies and/or programs must also meet the following criteria :
- at least 51% of clients must be people in need
- client fees cannot exceed 10% of the overall program budget
- food must be distributed free of charge
- the agency/program must provide for the needy without discrimination
For full details on membership requirements, please click here.
If your agency/program is interested in applying for membership, please contact our Member Services Department at (203) 469-5000.
Obtaining 501(c)3 Status
If your organization does not have 501(c)3 status, you need to do the following:
- Call the IRS Forms Distribution Center and requests
- Publication #557, 1st section deals with 501(c)3
- Form 1023
- Attachment to 1023, #8718.
- You must have an SS4 (employer ID number) before you can apply for 501(c)3 status. The process takes about six months.
- For assistance, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.